STEM Academy is a dynamic and innovative program for high achieving students in Years 7 to 10. The academically rigorous program is enriched by cutting-edge resources and unique learning opportunities to extend students beyond what is routinely offered in Science, Technology (Robotics, Coding, Electronics), Engineering (CAD, 3D printing) and Maths classes in secondary schools. STEM Academy students benefit from increased access to the outstanding resources at our Centre of Excellence in Automation and Robotics, including a new multi-million dollar Robotics and Design complex.
- Emphasis Hands-on in Science, with regular laboratory time, plus projects involving robotics and motion-tracking technology
- Innovative use of Technology – designing and building specialised robots; coding and flying drones; programming robotic arms; creating Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) solutions; learning how to code for video games, websites and apps
- Cutting-edge Engineering – rapid prototyping using 3D printing and laser technologies
- Deep Learning projects in Maths – student driven inquiry tasks that develop creativity, critical thinking and collaboration
- Enrichment activities – unique STEM workshops, University and industry tours
- Study Skills workshops to boost academic performance
STEM Academy Enrichment Activities
Throughout the year, STEM Academy students are required to participate in enrichment programs and activities. These include industry excursions, STEM-focused workshops and competitions such as the Australian Mathematics Competition, ICAS Science and ICAS Digital Technology. Additionally, students may be selected to represent the school at major STEM Competition days. STEM Academy students also complete an award-winning study skills program that equips them to reach their academic goals.
How to apply
Entry into the STEM Academy program is by application and an academic merit selection process. Placements in this academic excellence program are limited.